Saturday, January 12, 2008

homestay sweet homestay

Today I arrived at my homestay with my new "hermana", Maya. There's also another girl living here from the states, Jessica (another!). My Senora, Maria Rosa, is so sweet and Blackie the dog is great too. "Abuelita" is 94 and can't really hear or speak so I'm not sure if I'll have much interaction with her...awk. The area is really nice, the building is actually right on top of a Zara store so my frequent retail therapy sessions will be easy. There's a Starbucks across the street but today I had a cafe con leche at a smaller Spanish coffee shop (I'm trying to see how long I can survive without my daily grande skim two pump sugar free vanilla latte which just sounds painfully American...I don't even know if it translates.) I walked around for a bit with Maya and Martin, who is a friend of Maria Rosa's son Miguel. It's great to be able to talk to some native Spaniards. Martin speaks English but Maria Rosa says that after today "solo hablamos espanol" so we'll see how that goes! I did have enough skills to tell Blackie to sit ("sientate!") now I just need to figure out how to say "cuddle!" and Blackie and I are obviously going to be best friends. Blogger is being a little pissy about uploading photos but I'll try again later.


my new hermanas



my little room!



best friends for life



the most important objects in my life



my street!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i just read all your blogs... completely out of order. but i loved reading all of them. i feel so clued in on everything even though it is not directly to me. i love you and miss you so much. i am so glad you are having fun. i hope i can say the same when i get back to school, but we can be real about it.. it's okay. i'll just miss you a lot. you keep having enough fun for the both of us BUT DONT FORGET ABOUT ME. >3