Sunday, April 6, 2008

como se dice CUPCAKES?

So I did it! I finally faced my fears of cupcake failure (it's the worst.) I wanted to do my favorite chocolate chocolate chip recipe but unfortunately instant chocolate pudding does not exist here. Thanks to extensive googling, I was able to alter the recipe and make some substitutions before proceeding with caution. With no electric mixer in sight, I spent about fifteen minutes mixing the batter with a fork, trying my best to pop the air bubbles and break up the clumps while being ever so cautious not to over-mix...nobody likes tough batter! After more than enough taste tests, I filled up a silicone cupcake cup with batter, took a deep breath, wished the little guy good luck, and popped the tray in the oven (which had been emitting quite a bit of smoke earlier...) The next fifteen minutes were spent altering between pacing and compulsively pressing the oven light button (which results in both a light and a strange buzzing sound) to check on the progress. Things were looking good--Mr. Tester Cupcake was on his way to achieving a near-perfect dome shape. I breathed a sigh of relief as I removed him from the oven, cut him down the middle, and devoured him...you know, just to make sure things were turning out okay. With a smile on my face I popped in the rest of the batches and before long I had twenty newborn cuppies to call my own. After cooling, they were iced with frosting that I had to mix with my hands (very clean hands!) and topped with some classic sprinkles that I found in a cabinet (maybe Spain is good for something...) and now they are all arranged on plates and waiting patiently in the kitchen to be adored and cooed at. SUCCESS.


fresh from the oven, showing off her perfect dome



looks like we've got a run away sprinkle!



naked cupcakes!!
(I had to pop the first batch out so I could reuse the silicone cups)
(also note my attempt at piping without my piping bag and tops)




why hello there, perfection



: )

4 comments:

Emily said...

Good job Liz! Maybe next Tuesday we can make some cuppies together.

Unknown said...

they look absolutely incredible. its been a while since i've seen a good cupcake!!!!

Anonymous said...

best cupcakes ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cakes by Kelly said...

Hi Liz,cupcakes in Spain is "magdalenas" its a very diferent name no?? but is the cupcake plain,in spain don´t use buttercream or frosting creamcheese ,,it´s yummmy this im live in madrid but i´m from brazil,sorry for my bad english :)