Thursday, February 14, 2008

el dia de san valentin!

El Dia de San Valentin is nowhere near as huge in Spain as it is in the states but I was not about to let that stop me. My hermanas and I had been working on our hand made Valentines for weeks and baked up a storm the night before: chocolate covered strawberries, shortbread hearts dipped in chocolate, and strawberry jam rings!


the fresas were picked special for us and put into a boquet of strawberries | rolling out the dough (Robbie do you recognize my shirt??)



cookie cutting : )



the valentine we made for our familia and hung on the refrigerator (click to enlarge) | freshly dipped cookies



a valentine's day favorite


Why all the baking? A Valentine's Day party in the park, duh. The weather was gloomy for the first time ever (I so totally jinxed us all in my last post) and February felt like February instead of April but we were all troopers! We packed up our treats, bundled up our bodies, and brought plenty of champagne and blankets (both for warmth) to Retiro Park where we met up with a bunch of girls from our program PLUS Anoop, who was the one lucky guy among plenty of lovely ladies.


goodies! please note the peanutbutterandjellysandwichesintheshapeofhearts



waving around our bottles pre-getting yelled at by guards



very proud of my pb&j skills | lots of love



feeding the ducks the bread scraps apparently made my day...


All in all, a very good Valentine's day. Especially because I received Valentine's Day prezzies from my Gram, Dad, Carolann, and Scooblet earlier this week! I survived my first week at Autonoma but I don't want to dampen Valentine's day with talk of such a dark topic. Off to Sevilla tomorrow for the night! Besos y abrazos!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

my spanish chica! your latest post is just the cutest. i'm so happy that you've gotten over spain being the demon country and made all those delicious things. your shortbread cookies look completely bakery professional - only better. and your pb&j's are not only the cutest thing i've ever seen in my life, but also look delicious. can you please make that for your kids every friday during lent so they can show it off to their friends at school??

i love you and missed you so much on valentine's day baby. i can't wait till next year. back to cuppies for us!!!!!! i'm glad your party went well! i love you >3